The Knowledge of Death

The approaching colony 
Hand in hand
Step by step
Singing the songs of their old tribal lore

They are full of hope
Stepping into our airspace
Praying that the journey they made was not in vain
That hope lays on the horizon

What is the tireless academic supposed to do when he has read all the libraries, seen all the sights and has experienced many hardships? What is he supposed to feel when he wants to pass down the knowledge in his life to someone more deserving, only to find a future without a promise? Without hope?

I can't tell you what they will think when they step off that Spaceship. After hundreds of years traveling in space, will they be comforted finding that the thing they tried to escape would become their next destination?

An eternal repeat
Tragedies replayed over and over 
And over

Tell me I need to be optimistic
But it's good to know when you are going to die
Still, I can understand the optimist's search for a future of more promise
I can feel their hope as they pack away their golf coins for their future grandchildren
Or when they give love another try
I can feel it
But I can't see it

Because you are already gone, and it was never meant to last
These arms that reach for your body will never find you
You, whom hid yourself beneath my bedsheets
Sleeping in a comfort, however temporary, with tears in your eyes
Because it felt so good for you to feel loved

And these parts will stop, this I know is true
My fear paralyzes me 
And there you are, out of my reach
As life continues on it's dance
We are paralyzed for an end we know will come
Still we sing our songs
And search our planets among the stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone Chapter 1 (Condensed Version)

Lost in Thoughts

Past Lives or Schizophrenic?